2D Shapes - Lesson Plan
Grade Level: K - 2
Subject Area: Math
Learning Objectives: Students will be able to identify circles, squares, triangles, and rectangles.
Materials Needed: One computer, one Micro or Micro+ 3D printer, and one 250ft PLA 3D Ink filament spool per 2-5 students.
Brief Description: Students will learn about 2D shapes with visual 3D printed tools.
To Prepare: Students will need a computer that has the M3D software on it. We recommend one printer per every 2-5 students. The Micro or Micro+ 3D printer will need to be plugged into both the wall and the computer. Each printer will need to have a 250ft spool of PLA feeding into the external port. A spool holder is also recommended to hold the filament as it feeds into the printer.
If you need assistance with any of the above please see our guides at support.printm3d.com.
1. Students will go online to: https://support.printm3d.com/145216-3D-Models and download the 4 shape models: Circle, Triangle, Rectangle, and Square.
2. Students will open the M3D Software on a computer, and upload one of the 4 models. Once uploaded, they will click print.
3. After the model has completed printing, remove it from the print bed.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 with each of the other shape models.
5. Students now have a visual representation of each shape. Discuss the properties of each shape, and ask the students to identify the shapes.