Sumo Robot - Lesson Plan
Grade Level: 9 - 12
Subject Area: Technology
Learning Objectives: Students will learn about the mechanics of a sumo robot and how to code a robot.
Materials Needed: One computer, one Micro or Micro+ 3D printer, motors, wires, and at least one 1000ft 3D Ink filament spool (ABS-R is recommended) per 2-5 students.
Brief Description: Students will print and assemble a sumo robot, add motors and wires, and then code the robot.
To Prepare: Students will need a computer that has the M3D software on it. We recommend one printer per every 2-5 students. The Micro or Micro+ 3D printer will need to be plugged into both the wall and the computer. Each printer will need to have a spool of 3D Ink feeding into the external port. A spool holder is also recommended.
If you need assistance with any of the above please see our guides at support.printm3d.com.
1. Divide students into small groups.
2. Students will go online to thingiverse and find models of a sumo robot. Here is an example: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29827
3. Each group should print out and assemble one sumo robot. The group will need to add a motor and wires to make the robot move.
4. Each group will need to code their robot.
5. After the robots are complete, the groups can compete their robots against each other.