Plant & Animal Cell Models - Lesson Plan
Grade Level: 9 - 12
Subject Area: Science
Learning Objectives: Students will learn the different components of an animal cell and a plant cell.
Materials Needed: One computer, one Micro or Micro+ 3D printer, and at least one 250ft 3D Ink filament spool per 2-5 students.
Brief Description: Students will print an animal cell and a plant cell, assemble them, identify the components of each, and compare/contrast them.
To Prepare: Students will need a computer that has the M3D software on it. We recommend one printer per every 2-5 students. The Micro or Micro+ 3D printer will need to be plugged into both the wall and the computer. Each printer will need to have a spool of 3D Ink feeding into the external port. A spool holder is also recommended.
If you need assistance with any of the above please see our guides at support.printm3d.com.
1. Students will go online to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2811554 and download the plant cell models. They will then go online to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2803322 and download the animal cell models.
2. Students should print the models in different colors.
3. Students should assemble and glue together each cell.
4. Students should then identify and label the different components of the cells.
5. Students can compare/contrast the similarities and differences between animal and plant cells.