Tension - Lesson Plan
Grade Level: 9 - 12
Subject Area: Engineering
Learning Objectives: Students will learn about the tension of different types of materials.
Materials Needed: One computer, one Micro or Micro+ 3D printer, at least three spools of 3D Ink in different materials and weights per 2-5 students.
Brief Description: Students will print out test models in different materials and measure their tension.
To Prepare: Students will need a computer that has the M3D software on it. We recommend one printer per every 2-5 students. The Micro or Micro+ 3D printer will need to be plugged into both the wall and the computer. Each printer will need to have a spool of 3D Ink feeding into the external port. A spool holder is also recommended.
If you need assistance with any of the above please see our guides at support.printm3d.com.
1. Divide students into small groups.
2. Students will go online to https://support.printm3d.com/145216-3D-Models and download the tension test models.
3. Each group should print one tension model in at least three different types of materials.
4. Once they have their models printed, students should clamp the flat end to a surface, and then add weights to the other end.
5. Students should measure how much weight it takes to stretch the model 1mm, 2mm, & 3mm.