Base Numbers - Lesson Plan
Grade Level: 6 - 8
Subject Area: Math
Learning Objectives: Students will learn how to count in binary, base 8, base 10, and hexadecimal.
Materials Needed: One computer, one Micro or Micro+ 3D printer, and one 250ft 3D Ink filament spool (PLA or ABS-R3 recommended) per 2-5 students.
Brief Description: Students will print out numbers in binary, base 8, base 10, and hexadecimal and use these to learn how to count in these base number systems.
To Prepare: Students will need a computer that has the M3D software on it. We recommend one printer per every 2-5 students. The Micro or Micro+ 3D printer will need to be plugged into both the wall and the computer. Each printer will need to have a 250ft spool feeding into the external port. A spool holder is also recommended.
If you need assistance with any of the above please see our guides at support.printm3d.com.
1. Students will go online to: https://support.printm3d.com/145216-3D-Models and download the base number models.
2. Students will open the M3D Software on a computer, upload one of the models, and click print.
3. Repeat with the other models. Until you have the following printed:
Four of the following: 0, 1, 10, 11,
Three of the following: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14,
Two of the following: 8, 9, 15, 16, 17, 20,
One each of the following: A, B, C, D, E, F, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111, 10000, 10001, 10010, 10011, 10100.
4. After they have all of the models, students should group them into the base 10 set, base 2 set, base 8 set, and hexadecimal set.
5. Students should then arrange each set in order.